Monday 27 May 2013

One Last Breath

I sit here alone knowing my days have all past

Reflecting on my life I knew it wouldn’t last

The memories will live on like a story in a book

My eyes blink slowly for that final weary look

 

My life has been filled with happiness and sorrow

Always living for today and not worrying about tomorrow

As a child my days in the park would last forever

Parents shouting ‘Come in’, me replying ‘Never’

 

As a teenager I had a few scrapes with the law

Just robbed some food because we were poor

But I met my dream girl at a dance one night

The minute saw here I believed in love at first sight

 

The greatest gift to me was simple to be called dad

Watching your child grow in to a strapping young lad

A girl soon followed and I beamed with pride

As I watched the day she became a beautiful bride

 

I cried the day my both parents passed away

My Dad a war veteran who fought for his say

My mum the one who kept the family all strong

Could always go to here knowing nothing would be wrong

 

I’m lucky the friends that I have made throughout

Knowing their friendship was never in doubt

My legacy will live on through the stories I told

Suddenly I feel my body getting cold

 

I’ve taught my family to show respect to all

Never let their morals or standards fall

Treat people how you want to be treated

Stand up for old people let them be seated

 

My heart slowing and my hands perspire

I ask the nurse to take away my wire

As I walk towards the bright light of death

I put my head back and draw my last breath

No comments:

Post a Comment