Friday 15 April 2016

The Stranger


It was a normal cloudy day and I decided to go for an afternoon walk
At the end of my road a stranger looked puzzled and needed to talk
He looked stressed and told me he had unfortunately lost his car
Apparently, he had been to the hospital and thinks he walked too far

He said he’d been walking for about two hours up and down Queens Drive
Didn’t know what he was going to do but needed to rest and take five
After our brief chat I told him I would help his heartfelt plea
He said he would do the same if he was in a similar position to me

We walked slowly back towards my car, chatting along the way
He couldn’t understand why he couldn’t find his car today
We drove along the roads exchanging conversation about life
He told me he lived alone without his children or a wife

He introduced himself as Peter, 75, and gripped my outstretched hand
He only had a hospital appointment; this was not what he had planned
We exchanged our stories about life, morals and travelling abroad
Excuse me he said I’m waffling please stop me if you are getting bored

Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Junior and all the other stars of the MGM fame
Were topics we explored and a lady but he couldn’t remember her name
We eventually found the car and his eyes lit up showing a little emotion
He thanked me profusely and apologised for causing such a commotion

So why do I tell this true story?  Definitely not to gratify me
But to share the idea that you can help someone without getting a fee
Giving Peter my time when he was lost and need it more than ever

Was a humbling experience and a memory that I’ll cherish forever

No comments:

Post a Comment