Sunday 16 October 2016

Thanks Coach


My love for the game started when I kicked my first ball
There I was in my back yard kicking it off the broken wall
I was alone in the sunshine with a smile on my face
Itching to move on and play in a bigger space

My parents brought me to the park all dressed in my kit
We started running around, kicking a ball, while getting fit
All the parents left and it was just you with all these kids
When the post was offered to all sadly there were no bids

We were there every Tuesday and Saturday mornings too
All having fun playing this beautiful game, just us and you
Parents would come and go, trusting you with our care
You would coach us the rules and treat everyone fair

The summer came and went and our season had began
Parents shouted but we only listened to you our number one fan
Rain battered our games and parents would sit in their car
You stood their alone next to us never moving too far

When one of us had a problem we could always talk to you
Your advice and support made sure each one of us grew
You challenged each and every one of us to be the best we could be
We all had our roles that only you could really see

As the season ended you talked about going on a tour
The cost would be minimal so all children went, rich or poor
You taught us more than just the game but how we should be
Morals, manners, sportsmanship and all for a two pound fee

So thanks coach for giving me the opportunity to play the beautiful game
I now have a team of my own and I coach them just the same
You taught me ability with the right attitude can take you all the way

You did all this for free without wanting any pay

No comments:

Post a Comment