Friday 7 October 2016

You gave a child a chance

It started all those years ago when I wasn’t wanted any more
My biological parents gave me away and never returned though the revolving door
What was to happen to me?  How would my life pan out?
They you appeared with your loving hearts and suddenly my future was never in doubt

A perfect partnership with loving parents giving me unconditional love
We fitted together perfectly like a loving hand in a open glove
You showed me what was right and wrong and at bedtime told me a story
Every time we read it, Batman would always receive the glory

There were ups and downs throughout my teens; I must have tested your strength
You let me discover who I am but were always there at arms length
Guiding me, not telling me, knowing I’d make mistakes along the way
Giving me an understanding of morals that I still keep to this day

And now as I sit by you side dad, watching you, praying that you’ll recover
I can’t wait to tell you the news; you have a new grandchild to discover
Mum couldn’t be here; she’s taken Frankie to play on the slide
When we are out I notice you staring at him, a grandparent beaming with pride

I sometimes look back at my life and how it might have been
I thank God for you two wonderful people for the life that I have seen
When you two arrived at the home you gave me a loving glance

I promised myself when I was able I too would give a child a chance

No comments:

Post a Comment