Sunday 16 June 2013

Dad

You are always around when I need you most

You’ve even brought me breakfast including toast

When I was a child you carried me to bed

Gentle putting me down with a pillow under my head

 

I watched you play football on a Sunday morning

You made a tackle; the ref gave you a final warning

You bought me my first boots, I was overjoyed and ecstatic

Thick football socks made them fit; I loved my Kevin Keegan Patrick

 

You worked hard in the week and we had football at a weekend

You coached my brother’s team that drove me round the bend

I wanted you to watch me every single week

That never happened your approval I did seek

 

Through my teenage years I hope I made you proud

Playing at Wembley I managed to spot you in the packed crowd

As I grew older I found my own life path

But I still managed to make us both stupidly laugh

 
You are old school with your emotions locked away

But when I lived in USA I saw a tear on leaving that day

At times we’ve fallen out and not seen eye to eye

It hurt not to talk to you I won’t begin to lie

 

I hope I’ve grown into the son you sought

For my life and career I have always fought

To respect people and do things the right way

To listen to everyone and let them have their say

  

You are always there I only have to ask

For you to help me complete a simple task

You gave me the greatest childhood I could ever have had

For that I am grateful you are my dad

 

No comments:

Post a Comment