Sunday 3 December 2017

A Chance Meeting


An unusual crowd appeared.  A slow scanning of the blurred faces and then stop!  A vision of beauty so clear, leaving an instant photograph in my mind.  You turned away without a thought, unknowing you had attracted my attention.   I meander through the ever increasing crowd, quickly scanning once more.  I see the back of your hat, sporting what could be your team, with your blond hair peeking out from underneath.  I quicken my pace as you have stopped to talk.  Is this man your husband? 

I decide that I need to speak to you.  I have to act on this feeling inside, a feeling I’ve not experienced before.  Not sure what it is or why it is there but something deep down in my soul is telling me that this is right.  Am I crazy for believing? Have I watched too many 1950’s movies? I’m now living my own.
 
The girl moves on.  The heat is pouring from the sun.  She decides to embrace it and place her sunglasses on her now perfect face.  I’ve now began to walk quicker, quicker in the hope I can catch her.  What will I do when I do catch her?  The process begins to unravel in my head and I begin to have the self doubt that has haunted me in previous relationships.  My quick steps become slower with every thought.  The realisation that this never happens outside of the movie theatres, suddenly hit me. 


She paused.  Turned around and began to walk straight towards me.  I froze.  I wanted to move but I couldn’t.  Our paths were now the stage and the lights were firmly fixed on us.  The crowd slowly parted. The path now clear, her eyes fixed on me and my eyes fixed on her.  This was the moment.  This was our moment.  The moment the MGM movie became real.  My throat was dry.  She smiled.  I smiled back.  A simple ‘Hi’ told me everything I needed to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment