Sunday 10 December 2017

A Dancing Heart

A Dancing Heart

She turned away and the world suddenly looked completely different.  The once evergreen trees now washed in battleship grey.  The houses in the distance drained of life.  No hope.  No future.  The life I was used to ripped apart and the only partner I now have - loneliness.  How did it get to this?  Could I have done something different?

When did it all start?  If I’m honest I don’t know.  Maybe that was the problem.  I didn’t pay her enough attention. I didn’t listen.  I was too busy planning for our future that I forgot the present.  Too bust trying to please work and move up the ladder that I forgot the most important thing in the world to me – Hannah.  She was perfect.  I only ever had eyes for her.  If I’m honest, I have only ever loved her.  That feeling when we first met.  The butterflies inside.  The not knowing if I was going to get a second date. And then our first kiss.  The moment our lips touched, the moment we became one, the moment I stopped being ‘I’ and started being ‘us’.  I needed to win her heart again!

As my mind began to listen to my heart, I knew what I had to do.  I knew I had to show her how much she meant to me, how much I loved her.  She was a fan of old MGM movies.  A simple gesture was needed - a song and a dance.  How she loved to dance.  She was elegant across the dance floor.  Flawless in her movement – beautiful!

Through a friend, I asked her if she would meet me.  She agreed, thankfully.  I asked her to meet me in the place where we first met, the ballroom, an old building with character and charm.  A cold winters night outside but inside I was hoping for a warm reception. 
I stood silent in the middle of the blackened dance floor.  As she stepped inside, a spotlight struck.  She stood there, a picture of beauty.  She called out my name.  A spotlight hit me.  She walked towards me.  Every step she took, I missed a breath.  Not knowing what would happen next.  I played this moment in my mind so many times and it always ended differently.  How would this end? 


As Hannah’s spotlight touch mine, the music softly began to play.  She looked at me and I looked at her.  Our eyes met and a smile took over my hopeless face.  This was our song; this was our dance. Almost instantly, we moved our bodies closer to one another and began to move like we had done many years before.  I was transported back to a happier time, a time when life meant more to me than work.  We glided around the dance floor, laughing, smiling, like two people in love once more. Tonight I realised what life meant to me – Hannah!

No comments:

Post a Comment