Monday 31 December 2012

The Alcoholic


I curl up in the corner, waiting for the signs

My Mum, she peeps just one more time through the dark blue blinds

She sees a surly character staggering up the road

His fist is tightly clenched, ready to unload

 

I can hear the rusty gate latch, sharply becoming undone

I cower into my corner, knowing there’s no fun

Mum asks him quite quickly, how he’s been tonight

While I watch him anxiously, knowing I’m in his sight

 

His swaying brings him finally, to the bottom of the stairs

I know that when I next look up, he will be there

My eyes they shut real tightly as I begin to cry

One question flashing through my head- why me, oh why, oh why?

 

The door it opens slowly with an almighty creek

My future it would seem is becoming so very bleak

The belt is off in a flash and I see he’s ready to hit

Nervously I decide to stand ready to submit

 

His strike’s so solid, an almighty sound

I lose my footing, fall back to the ground

Another swing at my bloody leg

My hands clasped tightly, I begin to beg

 

The pain and the fear won’t go away

I pray to the lord for happiness some day

I wake up suddenly with a scream

Knowing that this time was only a dream

No comments:

Post a Comment