Friday 22 November 2013

Goodbye Mrs Jamison

I arrived on the platform with the other evacuees

With a bag in my hand and two unwashed knees

I held my young sister’s hand as we came as a pair

Not wanting to let go to show that I care

 

People arrived taking other children without a fuss

We stood there alone, scared, just the two of us

A lady came up to us to say all the places were taken

The emotions inside were finally awaken

 

A single tear slowly slaloming from my watery eye

My sister turned “Brother, please don’t cry”

The lady hugged me and said “We’ll sort something out”

We turned suddenly as we heard an almighty shout

 

Mrs Jamison quickly came over and apologised for being late

She was short with dark hair and didn’t carry much weight

We signed the forms and she took us both by the hand

We were excited to be travelling across new untouched land

 

We stopped at a house with a garden in the front and back

And greeted by an older boy who Mrs Jamison called Jack

It was her youngest son, who worked tirelessly on the farm

He asked us excitedly if we would like to play in the barn

 

Mrs Jamison undoubtedly became our forever Welsh mother

And her son, Jack, like a new older brother

News from back home would arrive once a week

Bombing raids and black outs made is sound rather bleak

 

Then one day we were told the war was finally over

No more German planes would fly over the White Cliffs of Dover

Peace at last and we could go back home to the city

Our goodbye to Jack and Mrs Jamison seemed so very bitty

 

We kept in touch by letter throughout the many years

Until one day a letter would bring on the heart breaking tears

Mrs Jamison, god bless her, had sadly passed silently away

I will always be thankfully she came on that evacuation day

 

And now I’m eighty five I can still remember her name

She never wanted thanks or even crave fame

When my mother passed away she was the first to be in touch

Even now I want to tell her that I loved her so much

No comments:

Post a Comment