Monday 11 November 2013

When’s Daddy Coming Home

The last time I saw daddy he was walking down the street

He looked around and shouted ‘When I’m back I’ll buy you a sweet’

He smiled at me and blew me a great big kiss

I caught it on my cheek I knew he wouldn’t miss

 

He had his bag on his shoulder and marched into the distance

My heart sank; a tear fell, as his shadow became non existence

I slowly turned to mummy, who had a tear in her eye

I simple asked “Mummy, mummy why do you cry?”

 

She sat me on her knee and told me what daddy did

He fights for our country, for the enemy he wants rid

Her voice a quiver, as she hugged me a bit tighter

So proud that her husband, my dad, a fighter

 

Six weeks have passed and no sign of dad

I know not seeing him is making my mum sad

My friend’s dads have been back for more than a week

I stare everyday at the street, for my daddy I seek

 

I ask my mummy when’s daddy coming back

She tells me he’s gone off the rough beaten track

Mummy begins to tremble as she speaks so softly

“Daddy’s not found” she whispered quietly

 

We cried ourselves to sleep that cold stormy night

In the morning we prayed that daddy would be alright

It’s been a lonely ten years and now I’m eighteen

And still my daddy has never been seen

 

I wake each day with hope in my heart

Knowing in my soul daddy you will never depart

My head is telling me that finding you is nil

I love you daddy and I always will

No comments:

Post a Comment